The standard settings used for synchronization do not always detect the correct outbox for clients. This can lead to sent emails not showing up on the Life of the Lead. This article will provide information on how to set up custom email syncing and specify which outbox SharpSpring will pull emails from.
The following user roles have access to use custom syncing:
- Company Managers
- Marketing Managers
- Sales Managers
- Jr. Salespersons
Syncing Emails via Mail Sync
Users who sync their custom email accounts have the added benefit of sending Smart Mails through their individual SMTP accounts. This allows ISPs like Google and Microsoft to recognize these emails as one-to-one or personal messages for optimum delivery. Once your email syncing is set up, then all of your Smart Mail will go through SMTP. This means that when a person receives a smart mail, it will look like you sent it through your own inbox and not through SharpSpring. Additionally, you will be able to view replies from that lead on their Life of the Lead.
As an example, if you sync the inbox for email@example.com and send Smart Mail, then the recipient will see it coming from firstname.lastname@example.org.
To set up and configure custom email syncing from the Mail Sync modal, do the following:
Syncing Emails via User Settings
To set up and configure custom email syncing from the User Settings menu, do the following:
Suggested Port Settings for Select Providers
For more common providers, consider the following settings:
(replace yourdomain.com with your domain name)
|993 with SSL/TLS
143 without SSL/TLS
To disable syncing, do the following:
Once your email sync has been removed, you will need to enter new sync information in order for SMTP and other sync features to be enabled.
In addition, once you disable syncing, the Your Mail Sync is not configured link will not appear again in the top toolbar. You will need to configure future sync information in the User Email Settings page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why is my custom email syncing not connecting?
A: When receiving an error when setting up a custom Email sync, be aware that these errors are being pulled directly from your server. Below are the most common reasons why an error can occur:
- IMAP has not been enabled in your email provider’s settings
- Incorrect server settings
- Incorrect credentials
- Certain two-step authentication services require different action
Q: What do the error messages mean?
A: Error messages have varying issues involved:
- Cannot authenticate to IMAP server: AUTHENTICATE failed
Either the login name or the password you have entered is incorrect.
- Cannot authenticate to IMAP server: [ALERT] Invalid credentials (Failure)
The error appears to be a way for Google Apps to protect against:
- Robots or automated scripts
- Stopping and halting abnormal bandwidth utilization (upload and download)
- Abusing account activity (such as using Google Apps as a storage space drive)
- Transferring another mail account to Google Apps
- Incorrect password inputs
- Cannot authenticate to IMAP server: [ALERT] Please log in via your web browser
This error may be related to the Less secure apps feature being disabled for the user you are trying to connect via IMAP. To solve the issue, do the following:
- Log in to your Admin Console.
- Log in as the affected user.
- Enable Allow less secure apps to access your account.
- The following errors may be due to the server configuration options that you are using. Contact your administrator for more details.
- Cannot authenticate to IMAP server: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed
- Cannot authenticate to IMAP server: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)
- Cannot authenticate to IMAP server: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (authenticate)
[CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)
Q: What else causes server failures?
A: Checking email too frequently can also cause these server failures. Gmail Help recommends setting your mail client to check for new messages no more than once every 10 minutes. To fix this you need to bypass the Google CAPTCHA using the following address: https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha.