Setting up email syncing with a Gmail account that has 2-Step Verification enabled requires a few additional, simple steps to properly connect with SharpSpring. This article covers the benefits of setting up a 2-Step Verification process, as well as a step-by-step walkthrough on how to set this up in the application.
What is 2-Step Verification and Why is it Important?
2-Step Verification provides an additional layer of security for your account, helping to reduce risks associated with your account being compromised.
The way it works is simple: once the verification is enabled, you’ll still be prompted to enter your password when signing in, but after you’ll be prompted to provide a second security token, typically a string of characters, to enter your account. This token is delivered to your mobile device via text, voice call, or by using Google’s mobile app.
By utilizing 2-Step Verification, you make it much more difficult for unwanted parties to access your account. The setup process is simple, takes about five minutes, and goes a long way in ensuring your account data is best protected.
Setting Up 2-Step Verification
Follow the below steps to setup 2-Step Verification in your Google account. You’ll need to have your mobile device on hand to complete a portion of this process.
- While logged into your Google account, click the following link: https://myaccount.google.com/security.
- Scroll down to the section titled Password & sign-in method.
- Click 2-Step Verification.
- You will be brought to the starting page for the setup process providing a high level summary of 2-Step Verification. Read through, then click Start Setup to continue.
- You will be prompted to re-enter your account password. Then sign in.
- The next step is setting up the mobile device you will receive the second verification security code on.
- Choose how you would like to receive the code, either by Text Message or Voice Call.
- Confirm all of your information on the screen is correct, and then click Send code.
- Your device will receive a Google verification code. Enter this code into the prompted box.
- Once your code is confirmed, verify that you would like to trust the computer. Click Next.
- The last step is a final confirmation to turn 2-Step Verification on. Click Confirm to complete the process and you will be directed to your 2-Step Verification dashboard in Google.
Connecting 2-Step Verification Gmail with Email Syncing
- While logged into your Google account, click on the following link: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
- Click How to generate an App password.
- Scroll down and click the button Manage application-specific passwords.
- You will now need to create an app specific password for SharpSpring.
- Click Select app and then select Other (Custom Name).
- Title the app: SharpSpring and click Generate.
- You will see a pop-up window containing a 16 digit (highlighted in yellow) app specific password for SharpSpring. Copy the password.
IF YOU LOSE THE 16 DIGIT PASSWORD AND EVER NEED TO SETUP EMAIL SYNC AGAIN YOU WILL HAVE TO GENERATE A NEW PASSWORD FOR SHARPSPRING IN GOOGLE SETTINGS
- In a new tab, log into your instance of SharpSpring.
- In the upper right corner, click the grey silhouette, then click Settings
- Click the Email Syncing tab.
- Under Account Setup, choose Gmail as your provider and then enter your email address into the Username field.
- Paste the 16 digital app specific password for SharpSpring into the Password field. DO NOT put your standard Gmail password here.
- In the lower right corner, click Save Changes.