For Gmail accounts not using 2-Step Verification, a recent change to the way in which Google allows third party applications to access Gmail can potentially cause email syncing in SharpSpring to temporarily be unavailable. This article will walk you through how to make a change to your Gmail account settings in order to successfully reconnect email syncing.
Step One: Confirm 2-Step Verification is not Setup
2-Step Verification in Gmail adds an extra layer of security to an email account. While it is not necessary to have 2-Step Verification setup to sync email within SharpSpring, we do recommend that clients consider adding this extra layer of security for their email accounts. If you would like to learn more about setting up 2-Step Verification, or learn how to setup email syncing once 2-Step Verification is in place, click here.
If you are not sure whether or not 2-Step verification is setup, the below steps will guide you on how to find this within your email account.
- While logged into your Google account, click on the following link: https://myaccount.google.com/security
- Scroll down to the section titled Password & sign-in method
- You’ll see 2-Step Verification with the status of On or Off to the immediate right
If 2-Step Verification is set to Off, continue reading through the below steps to setup email syncing. If 2-Step Verification is set to On, you should head to this article for instructions on how to setup email syncing.
Step Two: Open Security Settings
Now that you have confirmed 2-Step Verification is off for your email account, we need to ensure our security settings are open so that SharpSpring can connect to Gmail. To do so, use the following steps:
- While logged into your Google account, click on the following link: https://myaccount.google.com/security#connectedapps
- Scroll down to the section titled Allow less secure apps
- By default, this section should be turned to Off
- Click the toggle to the right to turn this On (switching the toggle from white to blue)
Step Three: Syncing with SharpSpring
Once you have opened up the security settings in your Google account, our next step is to head back into SharpSpring and setup the email syncing in the application. If you had been logged into SharpSpring while making your changes to your Google account, you should log out and then log back into SharpSpring.
Head into SharpSpring’s Settings and click on the Email Syncing section. Enter your email address, and the same password you use when logging into your Gmail account. Click Save Changes in the lower right hand corner, and your email syncing will now be setup within SharpSpring!