Forms are the gateway for an anonymous web visitor to become a lead. Form submissions can be used to trigger automation, provide usability, or use the submission to trigger a long-term action group. This article details the process to create automations based on form submissions.
The following user roles can create automations:
- Marketing Manager
- Setting Up the Form
- Creating Action Groups
- Creating Automation Tasks
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ready to Learn More?
Setting Up the Form
To create an automation based on a form, do the following:
- In SharpSpring's top toolbar, click Content > Forms.
- Create a new form, or use an existing one.
- Place the form at one of the following locations:
Creating Action Groups
Action groups are a series of events that occur after the lead submits the form. To create an action group to complement your form, do the following:
- In SharpSpring's top toolbar, click Automation > Action Groups.
- Click Options > New Action Group.
- Enter all relevant information.
- Click Add Action Group.
- In the When and what section, do the following:
- Select the time for the event
- Select the action to take
- Choose the email to use
- Click Add Action.
- Repeat as necessary to add as many events as needed.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: To delete an event from an action group, hover to the right of the action group's title and click the x button.
Creating Automation Tasks
To finalize the automation, a task must use the form submission as our trigger event. To create an automation task for form submissions, do the following:
- In SharpSpring's top toolbar, click Automation > Tasks.
- Click Options > New Task.
- Enter a name for the task.
- Click Add Task.
- Choose a Form Action for the task:
- Fills out the form (trigger or filter)
- Fills out any form (trigger or filter)
- Has not filled out the form (filter only)
- Choose the applicable form.
- Select when you want the trigger or filter to send.
- Click the Add Rule button.
Note: Your company's business hours are set within your company profile by the Administrator.
- In the Action Groups and Actions section, select the action group that will be linked to the task.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: To delete the action group from the task, hover to the right of the action group's title and click the x button.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How can automated communications seem less automated?
A: Setting up a non-business hours task/workflow is a great way to ensure your automated communication seems human. If a lead submits a Contact Us form after business hours, you can send an email—and not a standard autoresponder—indicating the team will respond in the morning.
Q: How can the automation be tested?
A: Test the automation by filling out the form on your webpage or SharpSpring landing page. You will see the lead record created in the Contact Manager, and the workflow will be listed under the Memberships tab.