|SharpSpring enables you to import contacts or leads to existing lists.
This article will detail how to upload contacts to existing lists.
Important Information Regarding Imports
The Import Tool uses information from .CSV files and creates contact lists from this information. These files contain only alphanumeric data and are presented in a table format.
Any .CSV file that you import should be structured similar to the following:
|First Name||Last Name||Is Unsubscribed|
When importing .CSV files, be aware of the following:
- Email fields are required. The Import Tool requires that your .CSV file contain a column mapped to the Email field. You will still need to include the Email column when a contact does not have an email address.
- Is Unsubscribed fields are required. For SharpSpring to successfully import a .CSV file, the file needs one column header that is labeled as Is Unsubscribed. The Is Unsubscribed field should be a boolean field, where 0 is for leads who are opted in, and 1 is for leads who are not opted in.
- Utilize first and last names. For the import to be successful, a first and last name are suggested in the event that you do not have an email address for that contact. Use both as often as possible.
- Values must match. When importing custom field values, ensure that they are formatted to match the custom field values. For example, picklist and checkbox values are case-sensitive.
- When importing data with picklist and checkbox fields, the fields must be present in the file import in order to appear. Ensure that the picklist or checkbox fields in your file exist before importing. Otherwise, the data may not import properly.
For more information on how to structure .CSV files and what they should contain, refer to the following help articles:
To import contacts through the Import Tool, do the following:
Mapping List Members
When importing .CSV files, SharpSpring tries to automatically map certain standard fields like First Name, Last Name, and Email. It is not always able to do so, but you may see fields already mapped.
You can reassign these fields if you do not want to map them how SharpSpring tries to map them for you.
Note: You can also click the Make Custom Field box to import the column as a custom field.
Sender Reputation: Evaluating Imported Lists
When you import a new list, SharpSpring evaluates the overall quality of the list based on a variety of factors, including an evaluation done by a third-party verification service. If 45% or more of the list contains contacts with email addresses deemed invalid, toxic, or purchased, SharpSpring will not allow your import to continue.
SharpSpring has determined these lists would fall into the lowest 2.5% of list quality, and they have a high risk of damaging your sender reputation should an email send be attempted. This measure is taken to ensure the long-term health and viability of the platform and to protect your own sender and domain reputation.
In the rare case that a list is rejected due to low quality, SharpSpring's compliance team will be notified. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further clarification.
For more information about the evaluation of imported or created contacts and list rejections, refer to Using Email Engagement Tools.