Due to the every increasing accessibility of information, consumers are spending more time at the top of the funnel in the information gathering phase prior to making a purchase decision. Having an outbound sales team is great, however supplementing our lead nurturing process with relevant content targeted towards our desired demographic actually helps bring leads to you, rather than having to go out and hunt for new leads. This is typically referred to as content marketing.
If we are just starting our journey to implement a content marketing strategy for our company, the following are the initial steps we should follow to ensure we're getting the most out of this tactic:
- Identify your target demographic, or personas.
- Evaluate your existing content. Is it informative? Does it speak to the personas you are targeting?
- Review the analytics. What's getting clicks, impressions, downloads?
- Survey existing customers and see what content caught their attention in the sales process.
- Iterate this process. As the marketplace changes, ensure your content is still up to date and relevant.
If you are struggling with steps 3 and 4, you're not alone. Understanding what content is leading to conversions can be difficult if we're just evaluating clicks or views, unless we can track those behaviors throughout the sale process. That's where using the Media Center in SharpSpring helps. By creating media center assets in SharpSpring, we can see which pieces of content are getting the most interaction from both anonymous and known leads. We can use this knowledge to improve the type of content we are creating, and ensure our resources are dedicated to creating more content that leads to conversion.
Once our high-value content has been identified, we can incorporate views against this content in our Lead Scoring strategy, to automatically identify leads that are likely to convert based on the assets they have viewed.