One of the most important steps in marketing automation is getting your leads tracked in SharpSpring. Once a lead is tracked, you can see when they do certain things -- such as when they open an email, click a link in that email, visit a page on your site, fill out a form, or view a media asset. As you can see, tracking leads is a crucial step in knowing your audience and customizing content based on their behavior. A lead can become tracked in three different ways. In this article, you'll learn the different ways a lead can become tracked in SharpSpring.
- SharpSpring MA
- SharpSpring Mail+
SharpSpring tracking code needs to be placed on every page you would like tracked. For the tracking code to be effective, the lead also must have cookies enabled in their browser. Most leads do, but some turn it off by personal preference or via a company profile. Check out our help article on Inserting SharpSpring Tracking Code for more information.
A lead can become tracked in one of three ways:
1. Filling out a form: A lead will be tracked when they fill out a form on your website that has tracking code. This form must be a SharpSpring form, or a native/third-party form that has been integrated with our tracking script.
2. Clicking a link in an email: A lead will be tracked if they click a link in your SharpSpring email that takes them to your website that has tracking code. The links within the message are unique to the recipient when the email is sent from SharpSpring. Site tracking is established when a lead clicks these unique links and visits a page with SharpSpring tracking code.
3. API/Shopping Cart: A link will be tracked if you pass a TrackingID through the API or if the lead purchases something from your shopping cart platform that has tracking code. This will require a developer, as both the API and shopping cart involve code knowledge.
How to find out if a lead is tracked:
Step One: Go to that lead's profile.
Step Two: Click the Memberships tab.
Step Three: Click Devices.
This will show you how many, if any, devices are tracked for that lead. This will also provide information as to the lead's OS, browser, monitor resolution, and TrackingID.
You can test tracking by:
- Filling out a form, and then confirming site visits in either the Life of the Lead tab or the Device section of the Memberships tab (shown above).
- Sending a smart email to yourself with a link to your website that has tracking code, clicking the link, then checking your contact record.
SharpSpring saves the activity and visit history of anonymous visitors before they're tracked. Once tracking is established, that anonymous activity becomes associated with the tracked lead in SharpSpring. The automation engine deals with this newly associated activity in a very specific way.