With the Visual Workflow Builder, SharpSpring offers an interface for you to develop and visualize the journeys for your leads. Point-and-click to build and expand even the most complex automation tasks, including triggers, filters, and actions. You can use the Visual Workflow Builder to construct diagrams of your leads' journeys to better understand the paths they are taking toward conversion. This article will provide information on the various aspects of the Visual Workflow Builder.
The following user roles can create visual workflows:
- Marketing Managers
Creating Visual Workflows
To create a visual workflow, do the following:
- On the top toolbar in SharpSpring, click Automation > Visual Workflows.
- On the top right of the Visual Workflows page, click + New Workflow.
Note: You can edit an existing Visual Workflow by typing in the Filter Workflows field for the specific visual workflow, then clicking the name to open it.
- Name your new Visual Workflow.
- Click OK.
- Click the + icon.
- Create a trigger.
Note: Every Visual Workflow must begin with a trigger. A trigger is the initial event that begins the workflow.
- Click the + icon to continue building our Visual Workflow. Choose from the following:
• Actions: The available actions within the Visual Workflow.
• Filters: Additional criteria that a lead must fulfill before moving on to an action.
• Time Delay: Sets a time delay for actions.
• Action Groups: Multiple actions previously constructed together as a group.
- Add additional actions, filters, time delays, or action groups as necessary.
- Click the toggle labeled as Disabled to change the workflow's status to Active.
Note: You can view the performance of your Visual Workflow, including the total number of times the Visual Workflow has run, on the main Visual Workflows page.
To delete an item, click the Delete icon. Deleting an item higher in the workflow will delete all items directly following it.
Previewing and Editing Content in Visual Workflows
You can preview sites, emails, forms, pages, and certain media assets from within the Visual Workflow Builder and quickly jump to them to edit those assets. With a visual workflow, you can see every aspect of your automation from a single interface, which makes this an ideal centerpiece for your marketing strategy.
Click the send the email action or visits from the email trigger to see a preview of the email. Click the Edit icon to edit that email directly in the email designer.
Click the form trigger to see a preview of the form that people are filling out. Click the Edit icon to edit that form directly in that form’s settings page.
Click the media center trigger to see a preview of that media center link. Images, videos, and sites can be previewed, but not PDFs. Click the Edit icon to edit the settings for that Media Center asset.
Click any site trigger/filter to see a preview of that website. If a preview is not available, an icon will appear instead. When previewing the visits from the page trigger, only your your tracked sites will show up as a preview since this trigger relies on the page to have your tracking code.
Gated and Open Triggers
The Visual Workflow builder includes options for triggers to have them fire if the trigger condition was met. This condition interacts with the referenced item originating in the specified workflow and action group.Open and gated triggers are available only for sends the email triggers. These trigger options are as follows:
- Gated Trigger: Only fire the trigger if the email is sent as part of this workflow.
- Open Trigger: Allow this trigger to fire even if the email is sent as a smart email, to a list, or through another group.
Gated and open triggers allow you to create multiple scenarios within the same visual workflow. These triggers allow for the option, on a trigger-by-trigger basis, to choose whether conditional logic should apply, or whether any lead action that meets that condition should fire the trigger.
For example, a trigger for visits from the email with a parent action that sends that email will only fire if a visits from that email was sent from the parent action group, and will not fire if that email is sent as a smart email, to a list, or through another action group.
To utilize open and gated triggers, do the following:
- In the Visual Workflow Builder, create a trigger of any kind.
- Under the trigger, create an action.
- Select the send the email trigger option.
- Under the action, create a trigger.
- Select either visits from the email or views the media.
- Select either Gated Trigger or Open Trigger.
- Optionally, select Remove from Parent Action Group.
Note: When selecting Remove from Parent Action Group, the workflow will branch off and will no longer be connected to the original workflow. The lead will no longer be associated with the original workflow and will now receive actions on this new branch.